There are a lot of great things in the Athens,GA area to do this summer for cheap and some even FREE! I am sure there are more than what is on this list but these are the ones that we have enjoyed. If you know of any others, please leave a comment telling us all about it!
- Skating for $3 a person including skates on Tuesday nights at Fun Galaxy (formerly known as Skate Around USA). Say what?!? We enjoyed this adventure last night and had so much fun! The great thing is only the ones that will be skating have to pay. I was amazed at the new changes that have taken place since it changed ownership. Cleaner and family friendlier are at the top of the list. They also have other specials during the summer that you can check out on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FunGalaxyAthens?fref=ts
I captured this video last night of the kids, well mostly Lydia (she is a camera hog 🙂 ), skating. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itTpwXFwfoo&feature=youtu.be
I highly recommend checking them out, maybe we will see you there!
- Check out your local library. Each week they have different events for families to enjoy from puppet shows, to magic shows, to pajama night, the list is huge! I took the kids to Cave Painting at our local library a few weeks ago and I think I had as much fun as the kids.
Click this link and then on your local library to view upcoming events. http://www.athenslibrary.org/events
- Home Depot and Lowe’s Kids Workshops. FREE! We have done the Lowe’s workshop several times and the kids love them.
- Splash Pad at East Athens Park. If you haven’t taken your kids to this yet – WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? 🙂 It’s only $1/person! They also have a great playground right beside the splash pad.
- Georgia Museum of Art hosts monthly Family Days and they are FREE! This is a great way to expose your children to art without paying high museum admission costs.
- Sandy Creek Nature Center – If you haven’t taken your kids here, you must. It is free! Plus, they host monthly activities for your family to enjoy together. We did a Family Fishing Night and had so much fun. It was only $10 for the whole family!https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandy-Creek-Nature-Center/211544335586
- Summer Kids Movie Series at Carmike and Beechwood Cinemas. We haven’t taken the kids yet but have it on our Summer Fun Calendar. 🙂
- 2013 Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-Fil-A. Dress like a cow and get FREE FOOD – Okay, I am there!!
- Catching Fireflies (or Lightening Bugs as some call them). This is a must for everyone! I know it isn’t a place to go but it’s summer, how could I leave this off?!? 🙂
- Visit Bear Hollow Zoo/Memorial Park. Free and a great family activity. From seeing the zoo animals, to feeding the ducks, to playing on the playground, there is so much to do for FREE!
I hope you find these activities as enjoyable as my family does. May you all have a great last half of the summer and find ways to create lasting memories while saving money. 🙂 ~ Melissa